The Rags Thread

Piano, Fortepiano and Harpsichord Music
honkytonkpiano
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Keyboard, Organ
Music Scores: No

Re: The Rags Thread

Post by honkytonkpiano »

Dear Toby,
I'm not sure you received my email with the attached "Winifred Atwell" scores (?)
However.. here are my scans again.. plus some "Winnie" scans more.
I hope you will enjoy this great piano Rags by "Winifred Atwell" !!!!!
Best RAGards,
Martin
Atwell, Winifred - Black & White Rag - George Botsford; Arr.& as pl.by WA (195-).pdf
Atwell, Winifred - Charleston - Jimmy Johnson; Arr.& as pl.by WA (1954).pdf
Atwell, Winifred - Dill Pickles (Ragtime) - Charles L.Johnson; Arr.& as pl.by WA (1954).pdf
Atwell, Winifred - Jubilee Rag - Comp.& as pl.by WA (1952).pdf
Atwell, Winifred & Warlock, Monty - Britannia Rag (1952).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,
Music Scores: Yes

Post by tobyjj »

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the new postings.

Yes I got the 2 Atwell - eventually (Jubilee & Britannia) - that e-mail addres was down for about 3 weeks but is now completely fixed.
It seems, however that maybe you have changed your e-mail address? since a message I sent you bounced.

Here are 2 small pieces - I don't know anything about Clapson - I think these are from the BNP
TTOS NMOS[
Clapson - Sadao (Fox-trot Japonais).pdf
Clapson - En Cueillant Des Fraises.pdf
Regards,
tobyjj
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gigiranalli
Pianophiliac
Instruments played, if any: Piano

Post by gigiranalli »

fhimpsl wrote:Dear Luigi,

Many thanks for posting the unknown recordings by Ragtime Bob.. There's nothing I like better than researching ragtime mystery tunes. I can honestly say I've never heard these two pieces before. However, on Rag #1 the first strain is somewhat similar to George L. Cobb's "Feedin' The Kitty." It seems Bob just played the first and second theme and then repeated the first again. But of course the second theme does not match, so it's not "Feedin' The Kitty" after all! On Rag #2 Bob is obviously playing more in a traditional jazz style (plenty of Morton influence) especially on the first theme, which reminds me a little bit of the jazz standard "Tia Juana". But of course it's not that tune at all. One thing is for sure, it's a great rag and playing by Ragtime Bob at his best.

Sorry I couldn't be more help in identifying these tunes. Unfortunately Bob Darch has long passed, as have sadly so many of the "second generation" ragtimers of the 1950s-60s. The only people I can think to ask would be Dave Jasen, Trebor Tichenor, or Terry Parrish. I know all of them for years, but have been out of touch with Dave for a very long time (and he might be the most likely to know). I can play the files for Trebor the next time I see him. He might not remember the titles, but would probably have the tape from which these cuts were taken, and that tape hopefully still has an index! Bob Wright is another possibility, but I've been out of touch with him for years as well. I'll try hard as I can to ID these.

Thanks too for the "Blue Grass Queen" which is beautiful, and also "Brush Creek" which I have somewhere, but never knew Johnny Maddox had recorded part of it in a medley! I didn't think that rag existed outside of the Library of Congress; but there's always a chance of finding a rarity. We all know the most amazing things still turn up after all these years!

All Best,

Frank
Dear Frank,
thank you so much for your help with the two Darch recordings!
You're right, the first rag has a first strain that is almost identical to the first strain in Cobb's "Feeding The Kitty"!!
Thanks for pointing this out!!
By the way only now I notice that "Feeding The Kitty" has a second strain that is also reused in his "Procrastination Rag"..and it is a smart re-working of the second strain in "Levee Rag"...
I was quite familiar with Bob Darch's website, he had one in the 1990s and he also had an email address. Of course I repented I had never written to him, also considering he was my very favorite ragtime pianist (excluding the originals of the ragtime era of course!)...not to mention that he had known almost all the survived original ragtimers!
I see you posted a number of great special arrangements in the School of Syncopation forum and that one of those is a Bert Read arrangement of "Steamboat Rag". So I'km attaching here the original version, published by Stark.
Then Martin posted some great arrangements by Winifred Atwell (great pianist!!!), inclunding her neat arrangement of the "Charleston" (she also included a hint of "Five Foot Two" in it). I will post another couple of Atwell arrangements myself, not included for the moment.
For now, here are two other unissued recordings of the GREAT Bob Darch from 1966 and 1967 tapes. This time I chose two very famous numbers, "Sunflower Slow Drag" and "Calliope Rag". I refused to listen to other versions of these two pieces after I heard these two unique, great and matchless versions played by Ragtiem Bob Darch :D
As for Winifred Atwell, I post her great version of the "Steamboat Rag"!
Luigi
Winfred Atwell - Steamboat Rag (Burnett).mp3
Burnett, Ernie - Steamboat Rag.pdf
Bob Darch - Calliope Rag (Scott; Darch).mp3
Bob Darch - Sunflower Slow Drag (Hayden; Joplin).mp3
Last edited by gigiranalli on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gigiranalli
Pianophiliac

Post by gigiranalli »

honkytonkpiano wrote:Dear Luigi,
I know you are a great fan of "J. Russell Robinson" and "Joe Jordan".
Here are some of my scans especial for you!
First a couple of rare Rags by "J. Russell Robinson" and at last a rare Fox-Trot by "Joe Jordan".
Unfortunately the score by "Joe Jordan" is in a poor quality (like my original printed score), but i hope it's ok.
Luigi, hopefully all this scores are new for you (?) Sure you will enjoy it!
Best RAGards,
Martin
Dear Martin,
thank you so much for these great pieces!
I already had the "Mistrel Man", but not the other two numbers! The version of "Sweetie Dear" you posted is the fox-trot version and I was really looking for that!
Of course you'll know that Joe Jordan also used the theme of this song for the last strain in his "Pekin Rag", and in fact he had written "Sweetie Dear" for the Pekin Theatre.
I post here his own recording of the song, as recorded in 1960 (one of the many pieces from the "Golden Reunion In Ragtime" that were not issued...).
Another fine number played and sung by Jordan in that session is his own "Brother-'N Law Dan", a sequel of his famous "Lovie Joe".
I also include the published version of this song.
Thanks for the great Robinson arrangement! You're right, J. Russel Robinson is a favorite of mine!
I reply with the Winifred Atwell exciting version of Robinson's "Dynamite Rag"
Sorry for being so late with my correspondence and everything....
By the way, tomorrow I'll be on holiday and will go to the sea (again!), but I'll follow the Pianophilia activities since I'll have an internet connection :)
Luigi
P.S.
By the way, the sheet music of "Dynamite Rag" and "Lovie Joe" can be found on internet:
http://purl.dlib.indiana.edu/iudl/ihs/s ... U_35_26-01 (Lovie Joe)
and
http://contentdm.baylor.edu/cdm4/docume ... 3054&REC=2 (Dynamite Rag)
Jordan, Joe - Brother-'N-Law Dan.pdf
Joe Jordan - Brother-'N-Law Dan (Jordan).mp3
Joe Jordan - Sweetie Dear (Jordan).mp3
Winifred Atwell - Dynamite Rag (Robinson).mp3
honkytonkpiano

Post by honkytonkpiano »

Dear Luigi,
Thank you very much for all great "Joe Jordan, Winifred Atwell, Ragtime Bob Darch"pdf and mp3 files!!
Here's the score of the famous "Limehouse Blues" (song version) by "Philip Braham".
The special thing is... it's a copy from the "Ragtime Bob Darch Sheet Music Collection".
I hope Luigi and all other members will like this rare copy of "Limehouse Blues".
Best RAGards,
Martin
Braham, Philip - Limehouse Blues (Song) (1922) ((Copy from the Bob Darch Sheet Music Collection)).pdf
honkytonkpiano

Post by honkytonkpiano »

For all "Winifred Atwell" fans...
Here are five of her sheet music more (fresh scannned :-)
At first are four scores of her wonderful and famous arrangements and.. at last the original piano solo version
of "The Poor People Of Paris" composed by "Marguerite Monnot" and featured by "Winifred Atwell".
I'm not sure "The Poor People Of Paris" arranged & as played Winifred Atwell ever was published as sheet music (?)
Hope all "Winnie" fans will enjoy this music scores.
Best RAGards,
Martin
Atwell, Winifred (Arr.) - Rhapsody Rag (Budd L.Cross) (1953).pdf
Atwell, Winifred (Arr.) - Toy Shop (Jan Vuik) (1955).pdf
Atwell, Winifred (Arr.) - Flirtation Waltz, The (R.Heywood) (1953).pdf
Atwell, Winifred (Arr.) - Summer Of The Seventeenth Doll, The (Norm.O'Brien) (1959).pdf
Atwell, Winifred (Feat.) - Poor People Of Paris, The (Original Piano Version) (Marguerite Monnot) (1954).pdf
gigiranalli
Pianophiliac

Post by gigiranalli »

honkytonkpiano wrote:For all "Winifred Atwell" fans...
Here are five of her sheet music more (fresh scannned :-)
At first are four scores of her wonderful and famous arrangements and.. at last the original piano solo version
of "The Poor People Of Paris" composed by "Marguerite Monnot" and featured by "Winifred Atwell".
I'm not sure "The Poor People Of Paris" arranged & as played Winifred Atwell ever was published as sheet music (?)
Hope all "Winnie" fans will enjoy this music scores.
Best RAGards,
Martin
Dear Martin,
thank you very much for the great music you uploaded!
I'm right back from the sea for today, in an internet point, and of course I don't have sheet music with me in these days...so I post something I'm still having in my email box.
And I hope you'll like the piece.
The rag is one of Louis Mentel's ragtime compositions and I think this particular one cannot be found on internet, so it makes sense to upload it here.
The title is "More Noise Rag", a sort of sequel of Mentel's "Bunch of Noise Rag".
The piece is a neat rag.
Most of the other rags by Mentel are on internet, including "Gasoline Rag", "Bunch Of Noise", "Butcher Rag", "Lagoon Rag", etc...
You can find some in here:
http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/inharmo ... cSearch.do
Just to name one of the best collections.
Louis Mentel's masterpiece, "Gasoline Rag", has been beautifully recorded by the great Dave Jasen (it's a crime that he doesn't play piano anymore after the stroke! He was one of the greatest!) in one of his great ragtime albums of the 1970s.
Enjoy!
Luigi
P.S.
Mentel, Louis - More Noise Rag.zip
honkytonkpiano

Post by honkytonkpiano »

Dear Luigi,
Thank you so much for the rare and wonderful sheet music "More Noise Rag" by "Louis Mentel".
Here's another rare Rag composition...
"Little Jack's Rag" by "Arthur A. Marshall".
I hope this Rag is new for you :-)
Now i wish you and your family nice vacation !!
Best RAGards,
Martin

P.S.
In the Novelty threat i made an upload for you and Frank...
"Moreton, Ivor & Kaye, Dave - Modernizing The Rags (Selection) (1938) ((Great Ragtime Medley))".
Sure you will enjoy this Rag medley in Novelty style.
Marshall, Arthur A. - Little Jack's Rag (1976).pdf
gigiranalli
Pianophiliac

Post by gigiranalli »

honkytonkpiano wrote:Dear Luigi,
Thank you so much for the rare and wonderful sheet music "More Noise Rag" by "Louis Mentel".
Here's another rare Rag composition...
"Little Jack's Rag" by "Arthur A. Marshall".
I hope this Rag is new for you :-)
Now i wish you and your family nice vacation !!
Best RAGards,
Martin

P.S.
In the Novelty threat i made an upload for you and Frank...
"Moreton, Ivor & Kaye, Dave - Modernizing The Rags (Selection) (1938) ((Great Ragtime Medley))".
Sure you will enjoy this Rag medley in Novelty style.
Dear Martin,
of course I'm very familiar with "Little Jack's Rag" and I alady have the sheet music of it from Terry Waldo's great book "This Is Ragtime", but I thank you very much for having scanned it (from the same book, obviously) because it wasvery unconfortable to try the piece from the small book, while now I can print the score in A4 format and try it.
Did I ever sent you the two recordings played by Arthur Marshall himself in 1959? One of the two rags is the trio of "Little Jack's Rag", which was unknown back in '59!
I'll be back in Milan the day after tomorrow.
Thanks!
Luigi
tobyjj
Pianomaniac
Instruments played, if any: Piano, Guitar, Banjo, Ukulele, Erhu, Trumpet, Saxophone, Recorders,

Post by tobyjj »

Good evenening Luigi,

Welcome back from the sea.

I think you posted a recording of Zamecnik's Polly (or possibly a recording with several pieces including that) - I can not locate it on my computer... could you please remind me of the file name.

As ever, totally disorganised (me); and wondering why the good Lord could not have made time run a little slower!

Regards,
tobyjj